St. Peter's Maronite Catholic Church
Open Saturday, September 27th, and Sunday September 28th
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
St Peter's Maronite Catholic Church is Windsor's most outstanding Art Deco building and one of the few Art Deco churches in Canada. It was built in 1930-31.
Local architect Albert Lothian designed the church, rectory, and everything within - from light sconces to vestments. The building is buff coloured brick, with intricate jagged patterns. Other features include a bell tower which is 100 feet tall. Its aluminum spire is topped with a cross of the same material. The upper section is made for a bell Carillon. The lower part houses the machinery for the Wurlitzer organ.
The building was the home of the Saint Clare Roman Catholic Parish for 70 years. On July 24th, 2000, the Lebanese Maronite Catholic community of Windsor purchased the building from the Roman Catholic Diocese of London, and celebrated its first mass in December of that same year. Also that December, Windsor City Council designated the property, including the lands and buildings, under the Ontario Heritage Act.
Location: 166 Tecumseh Road West
Click on thumbnail for full image.